English in a Minute – Third time's the charm 事不過三 三次必成
Welcome to English in a Minute!
歡迎來到《一分鐘英語》.
A "charm" is something that can bring good luck. It can also describe something that turned out perfectly.
“charm”是能帶來好運的東西。它也可以用來形容某件事結果很完美。
But why would we say, third time's the charm?
但我們為什么會說 third time's the charm 呢?
Big news,Dan! My sister's getting married,again.
大新聞,丹!我妹妹又要結婚了。
Again? How many times has she been married?
又?她結過幾次婚了?
Twice. But you konw what they say:Third time's the charm!
兩次。但你知道人們常說:三次必成!
Well, good luck to your sister?
哦,那祝你妹妹好運?
Thanks. We all have a really good feeling about this marriage,again.
謝謝。我們對這段婚姻又有了美好的感覺。
To say third time's the charm means that a person finally succeeds at something on their third try.
third time's the charm 的意思是某人在第三次嘗試時終于成功了。
We use this phrase to encourage someone who has already failed at something a couple of times.
我們使用這個短語,來鼓勵那些在某事上已經失敗了多次的人。